Thursday, September 15, 2011

Down memory lane:WHEN THE SAINTS-----




During the Biafran war, people did everything in their power to support the war effort. I remember Sam Ojukwu, no relative of the Biafran head of state, but a fellow townsman and a great musician. He put together a fabulous choir of young men and women, boys and girls and they did a fantastic job. In addition to making his home church, St Mary's church, Uruagu, Nnewi, the place to be on Sundays mornings, they also travelled around entertaining Biafran troops.

Living at St Mary's at the time, which was my father's station before the war broke out, the church was right across the road from the house. Getting a good seat in the packed church on Suanday mornings was no problem at all. Get up on time, do what you have to do, get ready for church and walk across the street and pick out a good spot from where one can see the choristers very well. They never disappointed. They would come out of the vestry rocking gently to---" When the saints go marching in" and Mr Ojukwu, a Music lecturer at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, would be on the organ leading them, supported by his orchestra. I had never heard the song until he introduced it. The whole church would move to the music with them until the choir had filed in and taken their seats. They would deliver again and again during the service, well known classics and his own compositions in Igbo, with which they encouraged the people as the war progressed and hardships increased.
The song--- When the saints remained one of my favorites.

While hunting for books a few years ago, I came across an old Decca long play record, one of of Loius Armstrong's classics, in very good condition. I bought it for less than one dollar, if not for anything, for the packet and the picture on it. The record was in good condition too, no scratches, and the number one song on it was " When the saints go marching in, followed by Bye and Bye ( we will understand it better), two of my favorite songs. I kept the record in a safe place with other such rare finds. This record was from 1954. The other day, I found a turntable, a record player with speakers in great condition and throw away price. This find created the opportunity to try some of my finds, old records,Louis Armstrong, and others, mostly jazz musicians. It was phenomenal. In the first song, he introduced himself as the Reverend "Satchmo" which was a nickname people had for him from around age fourteen. He then sang " When the saints go marching in". It was so incredible that I wanted to find it and share it, but I could not find that special rendition. I did find another one, though, even better, he had a member of his band dance to it, and she danced to it, just the way I did when I first played the record and I said " Chei what a coincidence ".

Anyway, I guess it is no coincidence, because the members of Mr Sam Ojukwu's choir came dancing in, just like that, during those good old days, even in those bleak days, and they brought smiles and tears to the eyes of people, who were dealing with different heavy issues and they reminded all of that hope of being in that number, when the saints go marching in.

I will be in that number, when the day comes even with all my imperfections, which have been made perfect by the total sacrifice made by Christ. Will you be in that number? Click on link below and enjoy, and have a pleasant day and blessed week.

Nwada Chinwe Enemchukwu
Onye Uwa Oma
na Oralndo, Florida
September 5 2011
Pictures by Chinwe Enemchukwu



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKndGinFN5c&feature=colike

No comments: