Sunday, February 12, 2012

Nigeria on the move

I came back from Nigeria last week, after a ten week visit. The nature of my visit made it possible for me to interact with many people in different settings, social, business,(banking, marketplace, business office)and religious. Although the time was not that long, but I had the opportunity to interact, participate and talk to people. The removal of the fuel subsidy and the strike which came with it helped a lot in gauging the pulse of the society.

In Anambra State, the vigilante groups are slowly acquiring the looks and functions of local city or town police here in the united States. They are dedicated, vigilante so far are not abusing the power or rather the authority they have. The Christmas season was quiet and safe and people moved around freely. I cannot say the same about other states since I did not visit those states or spend time in them. I did go through Lagos and the streets and highways were noticeably clean, which brings me to the sanitary conditions. I came across sanitation workers picking up garbage in Nnewi, but I am not sure how often they come around. The 24/7 burning garbage pile along ugwu-akpati-ozu in Nnewi remains, waxing stronger. The effect of the smoke is beginning to show in some trees, in my opinion. Papaya trees, for example are really affected by something I was told was a papaya plant disease, which I strongly suspect to be a result of burning plastics and metals daily all around town. The left over ash melted plastics and rusted metal cans and containers litter what used to be farmlands and garden, quite a nuisance in some areas. Another obvious hazard I noticed was the menace of broken tiles which are popular in home constructions. I recorded a few injuries from broken tiles which are razor sharp. A relative had a bad gash under his toe, which required serious treatment and dressing for a while.
My biggest source of joy came from the attitude of the young people. The young people have decided to roll up their sleeves and generate income through honest work, no matter how lowly, dignity of labor, I will call it. For example, Pastor Obinna who works on weekdays as ogbu akwu and he works very hard and is very reliable. Onyeka sells used clothing and other acesories, KC is a painting contractor and handles serious work. Nwakego works at the church school and helps people who need her help.
It was impressed by the change in attitude and the increased awareness of the happenings around them. Removal of the fuel subsidy was hotly discussed and debated.
People in general are more aware of what is happening in their world. There are private schools all over the place and who would be surprised after the track record of strikes by state schools. In the morning,a variety of school uniform calls dot the roads as children ride to school on okada, a story for another day. I just hope there is a standard or yardstick for checking these schools and their teachers and administrators. If well monitored, the results will be good, as more children are in school.

No comments: