Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Shadows



The word shadow brings to mind different pictures. One thing common to all the possibilities that flood the mind about shadow, remains the fact that an image of the object in question, displays somewhere, and is exaggerated or diminished depending on the light source. I researched on shadow and all the sources I looked at agreed that a shadow is formed when an opaque object gets in the way of, or blocks a path of light. Since light travels in straight lines and cannot bend around the object, a shadow forms. The size and length of the shadow depends on the direction and position of the source of light. Shadows sometimes follow the opaque object, which maybe a person, or the shadow may lead ahead of the object or move alongside the object. Whenever a person gets in the way of light, a shadow is cast and the shapes of the shadow are different and interesting.
Before I start repeating myself in an attempt to clarify what I am trying to say, I will get to the point I am trying to make.

Two days ago, I stepped outside when the morning chill finally lifted and it was sunny and bright. It was about ten o'clock in the morning and I finally went out with the puppy to give him run around time. Living by the highway, though not directly on it, leaving the puppy unattended even for a little while can be fatal. While he ran around, I would take pictures with my cell phone, pictures of the puppy, pictures of flowers in various stages of development, a lone bee or two bees buzzing around busily doing their job, butterflies, even pigeons flying in packs, in circles or swoops. Regular birds are very suspicious and will take off for dear life.
I have learned a lot from observing the busy bees doing their work. They stay focused and mean business. They don't play around. The butterflies on the other hand, happily float around, as if with no care in the world. They float around from one flower to another doing their work, which seems insignificant, but is really very useful. Their floating around, just as the buzzing around of the bees accomplish the bearing fruits by plants and harvests.

As I waited for the butterflies and bees to settle down, I have to be still and not scare them away or make them feel threatened. My camera accidentally took shots and I knew I pictures of my foot or of the grass. The delete option would take care of the error, I thought. As I looked at the picture to delete it, I noticed I had taken a picture of my shadow, larger than life, but surely my shadow. That got me thinking about life in general, our lives, the shadows we cast when we get in the way of light, the marks we leave in the sand when we are done with our earthly work. Every week I read on the forums, obituary announcements for people in various stages of life, some very young, some middle aged, some old, some really old, who answered the call to eternity, which every human being must answer. Every human must one day fade away and be in the past and be referred to in the past tense. The memories left behind are really what matters and what counts and should motivate me I believe, to live life to the fullest, to enjoy what God has placed around me, family, friends,strangers, even when they become obstacles or stumbling blocks, one must get around the obstacles and focus on impacting the world in a positive way, changing lives, helping others, making the world a better place. Although it sounds easier said then done, it is possible to rise above ugliness and get to that point when nothing is worth getting angry about. At that point, one has really learned the truth realized by the psalmist in Psalm 91.1---1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
If my shadow was that big, how big is the shadow of the Almighty? I deliberately took a few extra shots of my shadow and they were very different depending on the source of light. I learned something that morning and I am still learning. I am sharing this morning, a few more of my pictures, thank God for a good cell phone, I am slowly becoming an amateur nature photographer and getting better everyday. To God be all glory.
Chinwe Enemchukwu
Orlando, Florida
Pictures by Chinwe Enemchukwu

No comments: